Sunday, March 22, 2015

How To: Make Your Dog Home Made Food



I've had problems with commercial dog food ever since I found out my 9 year old dog Mon Ami was allergic to chicken. For years I kept her on store bought high quality salmon dog food. I'd use half wet food and half dry food. I hate to admit it, but as she gets up in age, I've noticed she's been constipated quit often and she lost all of her front teeth on the bottom which I'd imagine makes it harder for her to chew kibble. My friend has an older dog as well and she told me she has seen drastic improvements in her health since she's started making home made dog food. I researched many recipes online and this is the best one I've found for my dogs needs. I also have a 10 week old puppy that is already on the food, as his teeth aren't ready for dry food, and he LOVES it! My favorite ingredient is the pumpkin because it cures both diarrhea and constipation, plus the dogs seem to enjoy the taste. 


My Recipe For Home Made Dog Food:

  • Two pounds lean ground turkey
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Broccoli, Cauliflower and Carrots (not frozen)
  • Large can of Organic Pumpkin (NOT the pumpkin pie mix with the spices!)


Directions:

  • Cook the ground turkey 
  • In another pan with a bit of olive oil on the bottom, cook the sweet potatoes 
  • While those are cooking, use your cuisinart to puree all the vegetables with the pumpkin and a few table spoons of water
  • Once pureed, put in the tupperware as you will not be cooking this, we want these ingredients raw
  • When everything is finished cooking, let cool then add it to your tupperwares and mix
  • I try to make enough to freeze some so I have food for a few weeks
Articles on the Benefits of Home Made Dog Food:


{ Mon Ami at 9 years young! }
{ Ralph Lauren at 9 weeks! }

No comments:

Post a Comment